Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pants That Fit! - Style Arc Barb


I've been suffering from a lack of well-fitting pants for awhile now. I bought a few pair of Not Your Daughters Jeans in a size 2 but, even those are big through the hips and baggy in the rear, though they are snug in the waist.

Some of my absolutely favorite pants are made from Style Arc patterns. For example, I have 5 or 6 pair of their Linda pants, but Style Arc come in a single size, so my size 10s are all too big on me. I've been waiting to buy more Style Arc patterns until my weight stabilized.

These pants are the Barb, which is an updated version of the Linda. They are a pull-on pant for stretch wovens.

About a month ago I attended a talk given by my friend Sarah Bunje, who used to teach sewing and fitting at CaƱada College. The talk was on how to fit the crotch on pants and was especially targeted to those who, like me, have a flat butt. In my case, you need a microscope to find my butt, which is why, I guess, most pants swim on my behind, even if the front fits. (I used to use a smaller size in back, but that is harder since patterns don't always come in a small enough size for my rear.)

I used several tips from Sarah's talk on these pants. I removed a bit from the back crotch point, straightened the CB curve, and scooped a bit from the bottom of the back crotch curve. I think these minor tweaks were effective, though I might need further tweaking. It's a process.

The only other change I made was to shorten the pants. I cut off 3" and hemmed them at 1-1/2".

These pants are *so* comfy and fit me better than any other pants I currently own. I used a stretch woven purchased at Fabrix in anthracite (between charcoal grey and brown). This fabric washes and dries beautifully and resists wrinkling.

I love these pants! They will be a workhorse in my wardrobe and I can see making a lot more pairs!

I am really looking forward to ordering some Style Arc patterns in my new size. I generally only order 3 patterns at a time, so it will be hard to narrow it down! Not only have they added some wonderful new designs, but I need to buy some of my old favorites in my new size. For example, I can't wait to get a new copy of the Cassie pant, which is one of my favorite all time pants ever.

In typical San Francisco fashion, the weather has been sooooo cold, foggy and damp. It might be the middle of July, but I am full of fall thoughts and am happily browsing fall clothing on various websites. I live near the tallest mountain in San Francisco, Mt Davidson. It's covered with trees and has a giant cross at the top, but most people don't go up there, because the trees obscure the views. The following picture shows Mt Davidson, but you can't see it for the fog. I took this when I was taking my pictures at 10am today. I also turned on the heater in my house today. I try not to, but it was just so coooold.

Mt Davidson, somewhere behind the fog

Edgehill, also behind the fog

19 comments:

  1. Spectacular! These fit you SOOOO well! I need to see if I have that pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noting better than a great fitting pair of pants. Your smile says it all!!
    I'm sitting in just about 100 degree temps. I absolutely love fall like weather, a big sweater, a good cup of tea, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pants, and you have such good success with Style Arc. And you have shown why I moved out of San Francisco, not enough sunshine! stay warm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still processing this size 2 thing. OMG, you are Tiny!!! And Gorgeous. And your pants are fitting well. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They fit like a glove!!! You are looking soooo good in the new-you...give yourself a bonus pat-on-the-back and pick up a few extra patterns as a well earned reward. Winter here, sun is shining, perfect jeans-n-T weather ....J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey shams, those pants fit so well! I can see why you are grinning. As for the size 2 comment, I had to grimace a bit as I have NEVER been a size 2. Congratulations, and well deserved kudos to you for a healthy change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh - nice pants. I like the look of them so much I am off to order a pair now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those fit you so well! I love that you have had such success with the Style Arc patterns...can't wait to see what you come up with next!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great. And some good tips for those of us that are a bit flat back there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Smart trousers, and they fit so nicely. I love the outfit, the chevron stripes in the top look great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shams, yowza! You look gorgeous in your new pants! Congratulations -- you keep inspiring me!!! Oh I was a size 2 also, okay, it was in Chico's sizing, but still. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful!!! And the pants are really nice too. I think I'll add this pattern to my next order.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It amazes me that you took this pair of pants and tweaked the crotched, lickity split. I'm STILL working on finding my TNT pant pattern. These fit you beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look terrific and so do the pants. Love the new moto jacket as well. What a transformation with your new "you"...clothes look spectacular on you and you can see your happiness shine through with your smile!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so inspiring, Shams. You make me want to keep learning so I can make more complicated garments! I love the details on the jacket and the fit of the pants. Thank you for all the little tutorials, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pants look wonderful! I'm beginning to think that I should also get on the Style Arc bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to read about another great-fitting StyleArc pattern. You and I seem to have similar body types, too. Butt-less wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great looking! I so wish that Style Arc came in multiple sizes (as mine are changing). Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  19. i have different fit probs but same experience - cant ever find pants to fit :/ but i'm too scared to try pants for me. i bought 2 craftsy classes on pant fit and construction. but still scared. i made a pair of pyjama pa,nts for my dd and i even modified that pattern quite heavily to make an adult pattern fit a slight teenager. and i loved how the pant crotch works - fun! but i'm still afraid to take that stpe! i'll get there - one day. congrats on finding a magic fit for you <3

    ReplyDelete